Building record MAB7244 - 45 CHURCH STREET, LOSSIEMOUTH
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Hall, formerly a church, and later a drill hall.
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 2344 7035 (27m by 28m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ27SW |
| Authority | Moray |
| Civil Parish | Drainie |
Type and Period (5)
Full Description
Hall, formerly a church, and later a drill hall. Lossiemouth Secession Church was opened on Church Street in 1841, and with the uniting of the Secessionist and Relief Churches in 1847 this became the United Presbyterian Church, which is depicted on the OS 1st edition map. A new church was built on St James Square in 1881 (NJ27SW0013). The church street building is shown as a drill hall on the 2nd edition 25 inch, 1905. There are records of repairs by local architect Charles Chree Doig in 1909. In 1914-18 it was the drill station for B and C Companies and drill station for H Company of the 6th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders. It is a two-storey building with an annexe for a miniature rifle range on the northeast side and modern wings on the main street elevation. The hall remains in military use, by the Air Training Corps. A photographic survey was carried out in 2024 prior to proposed development.
Period Notes
Church in use 1841-1881.
Apr 15 2024 , 24/00109/APP, 24/00109/APP (Ground Photograph). SAB36759.
Sep 6 2014 , AAS-GR-14-09-377, AAS-GR-14-09-377 (Ground Photograph). SAB35766.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: MOR;
- NMR Card Number: NJ27SW128;
- NRHE Numlink: 331440;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ27SW0031;
External Links (1)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/331440 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (2)
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2026 4:47PM