Document record MAB51234 - ST JAMES CHURCH, LOSSIEMOUTH
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Site of St. James's Parish Church, also known as the fisherman's Kirk.
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 2360 7087 (22m by 41m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ27SW |
| Authority | Moray |
| Civil Parish | Drainie |
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Site of St. James's Parish Church, also known as the fisherman's Kirk. The church was built between 1887-1888 and was occupied until structural problems were identified in 1966. Possibly designed by architect A. Marshall Mackenzie (appointed as architect on 7 January 1887), it is in gothic revival style, with a stone spire, fine windows, and a doorway.
This site represents the second of three sites that the church has occupied. See MAB7244 for the earlier site and MAB7245 for present church.
The Royal Commission reported that the structure was demolished after being destroyed by fire in 2001, however this could refer to one of the other sites of the church. A garage now occupies the site, but traces of the church remain in the decorative pillars either side of the forecourt.
HOWAT, AJ, 1901, CHURCHES IN MORAY, 36 (Bibliographic reference). SAB729.
MCKEAN, C, 1987, MORAY: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 102 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1142.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: MOR;
- NMR Card Number: NJ27SW56;
- NRHE Numlink: 193353;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ27SW0013;
External Links (1)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/193353 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (2)
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 24 2026 3:04PM