Building record MAB4678 - KNOCKANDO PARISH CHURCH
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Knockando Parish Church, built on the site of earlier churches.
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (C) 8498
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 1860 4287 (151m by 83m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ14SE |
| Authority | Moray |
| Civil Parish | Knockando |
Type and Period (9)
- PARISH CHURCH (World War 1 to 20th Century - 1917 AD to 1993 AD)
- WAR MEMORIAL (TRIBUTE) (World War 1 to World War 2 - 1914 AD to 1945 AD)
- CHURCH (18th Century to 19th Century - 1757 AD to 1868 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (20th Century - 1904 AD to 1990 AD)
- FAMILY VAULT (Post Medieval - 1561 AD to 1899 AD)
- WATCH HOUSE (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- CHURCHYARD (18th Century to 20th Century - 1700 AD to 1999 AD)
- TOMBSTONE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- GRAVE (World War 1 to World War 2 - 1914 AD to 1945 AD)
Full Description
Knockando Parish Church, built on the site of earlier churches.
The earliest known church was built in 1757, one wall of which was retained in the 19th Century structure. It was described at this time as a 'harled Georgian box'. It was rectangular, with long elevations to the north and south. It was then expanded in 1832 by William Robertson of Elgin, and again in 1868.
The earlier church was then rebuilt between 1904-1906, by John Robertson of Inverness, as a harled building with tooled ashlar margins and dressings, with a belfry and chancel at east end, and an unusual French round tower and a new 4-bay south front with twin Gothic gables. It has a pointed-headed entrance at the south-west in a gabled bay. Inside were two stained glass memorial windows and an oval pulpit. The building was destroyed by fire in 1990.
The present church was built between 1992-1993, designed by the Law and Dunbar-Nasmith Partnership, and is seen to reflect the spirit of the earlier church - the almost free-standing ,circular corner tower is strongly reminiscent of its predecessor. The tower itself is a 2-stage drum tower in the re-entrant angle, with the belfry in the louvred upper stage under a conical slated roof. A pointed-headed entrance is at the south-west, in a gabled bay. There are three cusped, 2-light windows in the centre of the south elevation, with a further large traceried window breaking the wall head in a gabled end bay, and there is similar 2-light fenestration in the 4-bay north elevation. There is a single stained-glass window in the north wall bay by Douglas Strachan, from circa 1917, in memory of Lieutenant L. R. Cumming, killed in action in 1914. There is an apse at the east gable, and a pointed-headed entrance in the east return gable of the south aisle. A small single storey bowed vestry projects at the west. There are apex crosses and slate roofs.
The interior of the church is re-modelled, with Gothic detailing. The east apse houses the organ, and there is a richly carved communion table and a pulpit with bas-relief panels. There is a cluster pedestal to the pulpit with Gothic detailing to the handrail. The south aisle accommodates a wide gallery, with a further gallery at the west, both with a cusped panelled front. There are pine pews and a braced rafter roof. Inside the church are also plaques commemorating the men of the parish who lost their lives in World War I and II.
There is a large, irregular, rubble-walled graveyard, the rubble wall having a tooled cope from 1822. A pair of carriage entrances at the east each have bull faced rubble gate piers and a pair of spearheads, cast-iron gates. There are mainly 19th and 20th Century tombstones. Against the eastern wall of the graveyard are two Pictish symbol stones and a stone inscribed with runes (MAB4667), which are scheduled monuments. Also, within the churchyard is the Elchies Tomb, the burial enclosure of the Grants of Carron: one of the stones within the enclosure is suggested to have come from the stone circle at Knowehillock (MAB50199). There is a small, rectangular, early-19th Century, harl-pointed, rubble watch house, with a doorway in the gable and a single window. It has a local slate roof.
The churchyard contains four Commonwealth war graves of the First and Second World Wars. Monumental inscriptions within the churchyard were recorded by the Moray Burial Ground Research Group between 2010 and 2013.
ORDNANCE SURVEY, 1871, Ordnance Name Book, No16(1870) 48,4 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1360.
WILSON, D, 1883, PSAS 17(1882-3) 45-56, 50 (Bibliographic reference). SAB2025.
HOWAT, AJ, 1901, CHURCHES IN MORAY (Bibliographic reference). SAB729.
ALLEN, JR, 1903, EARLY CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND 3, 127-8 (Bibliographic reference). SAB3.
MACKINTOSH, HB, 1924, PILGRIMAGES IN MORAY, 109-10 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1145.
DOE, 1966, A M's SCOT, 31 (Bibliographic reference). SAB353.
MORAY BURIAL GROUND RESEARCH GROUP, 2013, KNOCKANDO CHURCHYARD, EXTENSION, WAR MEMORIALS AND ARCHITESTOWN WAR MEMORIAL (Bibliographic reference). SAB7651.
AOC ARCHAEOLOGY, 2023, MEMORIAL HEADSTONE STABILISATION PROGRAMME MORAY COUNCIL: ARCHAEOLOGICAL SUPPORT SERVICES WRITTEN SCHEME OF INVESTIGATION, WSI (Bibliographic reference). SAB8796.
AOC ARCHAEOLOGY, 2024, MEMORIAL HEADSTONE STABILISATION PROGRAMME: SUMMARY REPORT (Bibliographic reference). SAB8746.
Jul 10 2008 , Untitled Source (Ground Photograph). SAB32077.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: MOR;
- NMR Card Number: NJ14SE1;
- NRHE Numlink: 16042;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ14SE0028;
External Links (2)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8498 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/16042 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (10)
- --- SAB1145 Bibliographic reference: MACKINTOSH, HB. 1924. PILGRIMAGES IN MORAY. Y. 109-10.
- --- SAB1360 Bibliographic reference: ORDNANCE SURVEY. 1871. Ordnance Name Book. No16(1870) 48,4.
- --- SAB2025 Bibliographic reference: WILSON, D. 1883. PSAS 17(1882-3) 45-56. 50.
- --- SAB3 Bibliographic reference: ALLEN, JR. 1903. EARLY CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND 3. Y. 127-8.
- --- SAB32077 Ground Photograph: Jul 10 2008 . DG.
- --- SAB353 Bibliographic reference: DOE. 1966. A M's SCOT. 31.
- --- SAB729 Bibliographic reference: HOWAT, AJ. 1901. CHURCHES IN MORAY. Y.
- --- SAB7651 Bibliographic reference: MORAY BURIAL GROUND RESEARCH GROUP. 2013. KNOCKANDO CHURCHYARD, EXTENSION, WAR MEMORIALS AND ARCHITESTOWN WAR MEMORIAL.
- --- SAB8746 Bibliographic reference: AOC ARCHAEOLOGY. 2024. MEMORIAL HEADSTONE STABILISATION PROGRAMME: SUMMARY REPORT.
- --- SAB8796 Bibliographic reference: AOC ARCHAEOLOGY. 2023. MEMORIAL HEADSTONE STABILISATION PROGRAMME MORAY COUNCIL: ARCHAEOLOGICAL SUPPORT SERVICES WRITTEN SCHEME OF INVESTIGATION. WSI.
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Measured Survey - KNOCKANDO PARISH CHURCH (EAB10543)
- Event - Survey: Measured Survey - KNOCKANDO PARISH CHURCH (EAB10544)
- Event - Survey: Measured Survey - KNOCKANDO PARISH CHURCH (EAB10545)
- Event - Survey: Measured Survey - KNOCKANDO PARISH CHURCH (EAB10546)
- Event - Intervention: Watching Brief 2023 - KNOCKANDO PARISH CHURCH (EAB11338)
Record last edited
Jul 24 2026 12:31PM