Building record MAB36019 - PANBRIDE PARISH CHURCH
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Former Church, no longer in ecclesiastical use, with an incorporated burial aisle.
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (B) 18435: Panbride burial aisle
- Listed Building (C) 18434: Panbride Parish Kirk
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NO 5712 3584 (144m by 128m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NO53NE |
| Civil Parish | Panbride |
| Authority | Angus |
Type and Period (8)
- GRAVE (World War 1 - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (17th Century to 19th Century - 1664 AD to 1851 AD)
- Jougs (12th Century to 19th Century - 1100 AD to 1899 AD)
- CHURCHYARD (19th Century to 20th Century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- CHURCH (12th Century to 19th Century - 1147 AD to 1851 AD)
- BURIAL VAULT (17th Century to 19th Century - 1681 AD to 1851 AD)
- SESSIONS HOUSE (19th Century - 1851 AD to 1851 AD)
- GRAVE (World War 2 - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Full Description
Former Church, no longer in ecclesiastical use, with an incorporated burial aisle. The church was dedicated to St. Briget and probably originally dates to 1147. It was gifted to Arbroath Abbey (MAB38316) and was in its possession until the Reformation. The earlier church was cross-shaped, although in 1845 the New Statistical Account reported that the south arm had been removed. The Panbridge burial aisle formed the eastern part of the church and is dated 1681, the date at which the eastern arm of the earlier church was re-built.
The current church was built in 1851, and apart from the burial aisle at the east end, it completely replaced its predecessor. It is shown on the 1st edition OS map as a T-plan building, with a vault extending from the east elevation. It is set within an irregular graveyard with a partially roofed rectangular building in the northwest corner. On the 2nd edition OS map the graveyard had been extended to the north. Current maps show the graveyard has been further extended to the north and west.
The current church is a Gothic T-plan building with a belfry, constructed of rubble with a slate roof, and containing a bell dated 1664. The Panbride burial aisle is two-storey with a vaulted chamber and is also constructed of rubble with a slate roof. The gable spire is dated 1681. The burial aisle was renovated in 1851, and the loft floor was converted to a session-house. There are jougs attached to the south wall.
The Panbride War Memorial is within the graveyard to the north of the church (MAB36038). Within the churchyard there are two Commonwealth war graves, of Lance Corporal A. Garden, Gordon Highlanders and Lieutenant Robert Finlayson, Black Watch. See also MAB36055 for the Loupin on Stane.
NSA, 1845, [Untitled], vol. 11, p. 72 (Bibliographic reference). SAB6324.
Warden, A J, 1880-5, [Untitled], vol. 5, p. 59 (Bibliographic reference). SAB10234.
Carrie, J, 1881, [Untitled], 118-19 (Bibliographic reference). SAB6088.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: ANG;
- NMR Card Number: NO53NE54;
- NRHE Numlink: 80351;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NO53NE0054;
External Links (3)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB18434 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB18435 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/80351 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (3)
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2026 3:13PM