Building record MAB21214 - ST PETER'S PARISH CHURCH, PETERCULTER
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Former church built in 1779 on the site of an earlier church (St Peter's Chapel, NJ80SW0401) which fell down in 1673.
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (C) 19753
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 8417 0043 (77m by 70m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ80SW |
| Authority | Aberdeen City |
| Civil Parish | Peterculter |
Type and Period (8)
- PARISH CHURCH (18th Century to 20th Century - 1779 AD to 1999 AD)
- CHURCHYARD (18th Century to 20th Century - 1700 AD to 1999 AD)
- DATE STONE (18th Century - 1779 AD to 1779 AD)
- MUSEUM (Modern - 1900 AD to 2050 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (18th Century - 1779 AD to 1779 AD)
- COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVE (World War 2 - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVE (World War 1 - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- WATCH HOUSE (18th Century to 20th Century - 1700 AD to 1999 AD)
Full Description
Former church built in 1779 on the site of an earlier church (St. Peter's Chapel) which fell down in 1673.
The present church is a long, rectangular-plan, ashlar-built building with a Venetian window and bellcote at the west end. It was altered in 1873 by James Matthews, and the centre south projection and the north T-plan aisle were added in 1895 (designed by Alexander Brown of Brown and Watt). The keystone of an arched window in the west gable bears the date 1779. The bell is dated 1860.
The church stands within a rectangular graveyard, enclosed by a rubble wall. The cemetery has since been extended to the east. The churchyard contains twelve Commonwealth war graves of the First and Second World Wars. On the south side of the churchyard is a small watchhouse.
The church closed for worship at the end of the 20th Century when the congregations of St. Peter's Chapel (MAB55939) and Kelman Memorial Church (MAB21181) were united, the latter being created Peterculter Parish Church.
St. Peter's is now a heritage centre. The church’s fittings, including pews and the pulpit, were removed so that the building could be used as a heritage centre. Against the wall of the heritage centre there are now two stones which originally marked the spot where two workmen were killed by lightning on 10 July 1779 when collecting stone for the building on the nearby farm of Alton (Oldtown). The stones were removed from their original location when the Peterculter Golf Course was built.
Author unknown, , PRESS & JOURNAL, 19/03/19 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1416.
JERVISE, A, 1879, EPITAPHS & INSCRIPTIONS,VOL 2, 16-20 (Bibliographic reference). SAB889.
BROGDEN, W, 1986, ABERDEEN, AN ILLUS ARCH GUIDE, p. 144 (Bibliographic reference). SAB94.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: ACY;
- NMR Card Number: NJ80SW9;
- NRHE Numlink: 19442;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ80SW0175;
External Links (2)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB19753 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/19442 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (3)
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 28 2026 1:31PM