Building record MAB17281 - ALVAH CHURCH
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Former parish church, no longer in ecclesiastical use, and its associated graveyard.
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (B) 2891
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 6783 6026 (93m by 93m) Centred at - Polygon: Unknown Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ66SE |
| Authority | Aberdeenshire |
| Civil Parish | Alvah |
Type and Period (7)
- PARISH CHURCH (17th Century to 20th Century - 1643 AD to 1973 AD)
- CHURCH (16th Century to 18th Century - 1529 AD to 1792 AD)
- CHURCHYARD (18th Century to 20th Century - 1700 AD to 1999 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (18th Century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- BURIAL VAULT (Post Medieval - 1561 AD to 1899 AD)
- COAT OF ARMS (16th Century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- GRAVESTONE (18th Century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
Full Description
Former Parish church, no longer in ecclesiastical use, and its associated graveyard. The church was built in 1792 near the site of its predecessor, which was pulled down at the time the present church was erected. The construction date for the earlier church is unknown, however a stone bearing the date 1529 is recorded as being built into the graveyard wall in 1867, although a visit by OS in 1961 was unable to locate the stone. The site of the old church is suggested as possibly being in an area of markedly uneven ground to the south of the present church.
The present church has a reused bellcote from 1643, which once housed a bell, that was cast by Peter Jansen, dated 1645 - the second oldest in the county. The bell is now in Banff and Alvah Church. The church was renovated in 1882, with additions and alterations probably by A. and W. Reid of Elgin in circa 1900. It is shown on the 1st edition OS map as a rectangular church within an irregular L-plan graveyard. On the 2nd edition OS map the church has been altered to an L-plan, and a projection added to the west-end elevation. The four-bay church has a gabled porch to west and a later, 1882, vestry addition adjoining at right angles to the north. It is harled with ashlar margins, and Turriff sandstone dressings to the vestry.
The ashlar birdcage bellcote is on the west elevation. It is dated 1645 and features round-arched openings, a stepped pyramidal roof, and a ball finial. Set into the south elevation are various memorials, including an early-18th Century memorial to the Ogilvy family in the form of a plaque, flanked by engaged composite columns, with a cornice and shaped pediment surmounted by an urn. The plaque on the east elevation is very worn, but probably has the Ogilvy crest of lion rampant, and other sources date it to the 16th Century; recording that it originally displayed the initials 'I.M' and 'G.M'. The later vestry on the north elevation is lower, and features ball finialled gables. The interior of the church was remodelled in circa 1880. Some of the panes in the windows still contain original glass. There is a panelled pulpit to the south, low arcaded timber screens, and a gallery supported by cast-iron columns.
The graveyard has ashlar gablet-coped retaining walls with various repairs. There are gate piers and cast- and wrought-iron gates to the east and west with fleur-de-lys finials. There are some gravestones dating to the 18th Century. Within the graveyard there is the Ogilvy Burial Enclosure, which is in an Egyptian-style, square in plan, and walled. It is constructed from harled rubble with ashlar dressings, and has a base course, eaves course, and coping. The burial enclosure has a battered doorway in an advanced, pedimented panel incorporating heraldic bearing, there are also uncarved acroteria to the pediment and corners. Alvah War Memorial also stands within the graveyard (MAB17290).
The church has not been in regular ecclesiastical use since 1950 and was closed in 1973. Its interior was left complete with all wooden furnishings and fittings in situ; however, the building is no longer wind and watertight.
ORDNANCE SURVEY, 1871, Ordnance Name Book, No2(1867) 21 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1360.
MURRAY ARCHAEOLOGICAL SERVICES, 2016, FORMER PARSH CHURCH, ALVAH, BANFF: STANDING BUILDING SURVEY, SBS (Bibliographic reference). SAB7295.
ARCHAEOLOGY SCOTLAND, 2018, DISCOVERY AND EXCAVATION IN SCOTLAND, VOLUME 18, 2017, p. 11 (Bibliographic reference). SAB6463.
SDD, n.d., BLDS OF ARCH & HIST INTEREST, ALVAH 1 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1827.
Sep 5 2023 , PUB-GR-23-12-003 - 006, PUB-GR-23-12-003 - 006 (Ground Photograph). SAB36640.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: ASH;
- HAMP Asset: HA0250;
- HAMP Asset: HA0251;
- HAMP Asset: HA5509;
- Local Government Guardianship;
- NMR Card Number: NJ66SE116;
- NRHE Numlink: 161518;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ66SE0088;
External Links (2)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB2891 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/161518 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (5)
- --- SAB1360 Bibliographic reference: ORDNANCE SURVEY. 1871. Ordnance Name Book. No2(1867) 21.
- --- SAB1827 Bibliographic reference: SDD. n.d.. BLDS OF ARCH & HIST INTEREST. ALVAH 1.
- --- SAB36640 Ground Photograph: Sep 5 2023 . PUB-GR-23-12-003 - 006. Digital. PUB-GR-23-12-003 - 006.
- --- SAB6463 Bibliographic reference: ARCHAEOLOGY SCOTLAND. 2018. DISCOVERY AND EXCAVATION IN SCOTLAND, VOLUME 18, 2017. Y. p. 11.
- --- SAB7295 Bibliographic reference: MURRAY ARCHAEOLOGICAL SERVICES. 2016. FORMER PARSH CHURCH, ALVAH, BANFF: STANDING BUILDING SURVEY. SBS.
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 15 2026 5:34PM