Document record MAB57272 - EAST PRISON
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Site of a prison depicted on the OS 1st edition map, built in 1819 attached to a new courthouse (see NJ90NW0045) on a site on Lodge Walk behind the present Town House.
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 9436 0641 (55m by 65m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ90NW |
| Authority | Aberdeen City |
| Civil Parish | Aberdeen |
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Site of a prison depicted on the OS 1st edition map, built in 1819 attached to a new courthouse (see NJ90NW0045) on a site on Lodge Walk behind the present Town House. The site is now the Grampian Police Station and Sheriff Court. Grounds and houses belonging to the Poor Hospital were purchased for the sum of £2100 by the Commissioners of the New Court House and Jail in 1818. This was to provide a larger plan for the new courthouse and some of the grounds of the Poor Hospital were to be used to construct a jail. The town surveyor made a sketch of the plan of the jail in 1818, which was said to be similar to that of the jail in Perth, but no traces of these plans have been discovered. Plans were designed in order to make a decision on whether or not the land was sufficient or large enough to build a jail and the surveyor concluded the grounds available were not large enough. The council put forward the proposal to apply for the acquisition of additional property namely, the New Inn and offices belonging to the Mason Lodge, and the premises called the Black Bull Inn that would allow for the construction of the new jail. The cost of purchasing the properties were an estimated £3000, making a total of £13,000 to construct the whole jail, in place of the £6000 already agreed to be paid by the Heritors of the Town and County. The Heritors of the Town and County remarked that the location of the new jail was one of the most healthy and airy places in Aberdeen. The area was approximately 2 acres and the buildings were placed in the centre of the area. The size of the grounds allowed for at least 2 wings either attached or detached with ample accommodation for a jail with airing grounds. The Heritors of the Town and County suggested that no additional property be bought in order to save £3000. It was suggested by the Town Council that next to the new courthouse there should be a number of rooms to be established as a temporary jail or lock up house for the confinement of prisoners either for examination or trial, or until such time the jail could be constructed. The city surveyor submitted additional sketches for this accommodation and agreed that this would be suitable. The expenses were listed at £10,000 (no sketches have been discovered). The Town Council, however, disapproved of the construction of the new jail as they felt the grounds were not big enough and suggested that the commissioners find a more suitable situation. The Commissioners suggested that the ground of the poultry market and the New Inn Stables could be appropriated in order to have more space for the new jail building. If this were to happen, the poultry market would be removed to another site. Despite these plans, in 1818 no agreement could be reached on the site of the new jail, or indeed with regards the building. In February 1819, however, the Town and Council Acts for the construction of the jail were laid out, which contained the details of the building and instructions for the number of commissioners and the building of the new courthouse and attached jail. It gave power to the commissioners to repair and alter the jail, including the construction of cells and necessary accommodation next to the courthouse to hold civil debtors and criminals and the use of £10,000 to build the jail. This amount, however, was to be defrayed equally between the Heritors of the Town and County. The commissioners were also empowered to appoint a person in charge of the building in case of fire to be paid out of the Rogue Money and to give the police commissioner accommodation for a watch house and another apartments for their meetings. In addition, they could use the Rogue Money for repairs. These stipulations were later translated into a bill for an Act of Parliament for the construction of the jail. In July 1831, the Council reported that the jail was complete and made fit for prisoners. It contained 60 cells and 10-day rooms. It was closed in 9 June 1891 with the opening of a new prison at Craiginches. In August the East Prison was offered for sale and a new police headquarters was established in its place in 1895.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: ACY;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ90NW0688;
External Links (0)
Sources/Archives (0)
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 16 2026 4:40PM