Building record MAB33681 - GLENPROSEN PARISH CHURCH
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Church and graveyard, still in use.
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (B) 4811
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NO 3282 6571 (68m by 75m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NO36NW |
| Civil Parish | Cortachy & Clova |
| Authority | Angus |
Type and Period (6)
- CROSS (20th Century - 1920 AD to 1920 AD)
- CHURCHYARD (18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- CHURCH (17th Century - 1602 AD to 1602 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (19th Century to 20th Century - 1802 AD to 1920 AD)
- WAR MEMORIAL (World War 1 to 20th Century - 1914 AD to 1920 AD)
- PLAQUE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
Full Description
Church and graveyard, still in use. The present church was rebuilt in 1802, replacing an earlier structure built in 1602, with remodelling of the interior by Sir Robert Lorimer in 1900. The original church was known as Pitcarity Church. The current church is a small, rectangular building, oriented roughly east-west, with a porch and bellcote at the west end. The church has rubble-built walls, which are whitewashed, and the roof is slated.
The west elevation of the church has a small, gabled porch, which was built as a World War I memorial in 1920. The rubble walls of the porch are not whitewashed, and it has ashlar surrounds and quoins. There is a pointed-arch doorway in the south elevation of the porch, containing a timber gate covering a wooden door. The gable of the porch has a large Cross of Sacrifice incorporated into the wall, made from slate. Inside the porch is a memorial plaque on the west gable (a full transcription of the memorial plaque is held in the AAS Digital Archive).
The west gable apex of the church above the porch supports an open bellcote with an external bell pull. The south elevation has three symmetrical pointed-arch windows, with sandstone ashlar surrounds that are not whitewashed. There are two small air vents between the windows. There are two narrow lancets on the eastern gable, with surrounds similar to those on the south elevation. The north elevation is featureless, aside from a small, timber-clad porch at the east end, with a pointed-arch window on its east elevation, containing lattice glazing, and a narrow door on the west elevation. The porches and church all have gabled slate roofs.
The interior of the church is quite plain. There are simple wooden pews with a central passage, facing the chancel at the east end. The chancel is raised by a single step, leading to a communion table in front of a pulpit carved with vines and wheat, with a sounding board behind. The two lancet windows on the east gable flank the pulpit, and contain stained glass, as do the three larger windows on the south elevation. The walls are lined with a timber-clad dado, and a timber hammer-beam roof, supported with stone corbels, is left exposed. A small door in the northeast corner of the church leads to the porch in the north wall.
The graveyard is enclosed by a low rubble wall surmounted by railings to the south of the church, continuing to the southeast of the church, enclosed by more simple fencing. It contains various 18th and 19th Century gravestones.
ROY, 1750, MILITARY SURVEY, 08/08/14 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1561.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: ANG;
- NMR Card Number: NO36NW54;
- NRHE Numlink: 223475;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NO36NW0072;
External Links (3)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB4811 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/86122 (War Memorials Register: Memorial Porch)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/223475 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (1)
- --- SAB1561 Bibliographic reference: ROY. 1750. MILITARY SURVEY. 08/08/14.
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 21 2026 7:19PM