Building record MAB22339 - BOURTIE PARISH CHURCH
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Church, in use, and its associated graveyard.
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (A) 2815
- Listed Building (C) 2816: Churchyard of Bourtie
- Listed Building 32: Sundial, Bourtie Churchyard
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 8045 2485 (74m by 47m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ82SW |
| Authority | Aberdeenshire |
| Civil Parish | Bourtie |
Type and Period (10)
- PARISH CHURCH (Built 1806 AD, 18th Century to 20th Century - 1760 AD to 1933 AD)
- EFFIGY (Medieval - 1100 AD to 1560 AD)
- CHURCH (First Recorded 1199 AD, 12th Century - 1199 AD to 1199 AD)
- COAT OF ARMS (1806 - 1807 AD, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1806 AD to 1933 AD)
- GRAVESTONE (Dated 1579 AD, 16th Century - 1579 AD to 1579 AD)
- SUNDIAL (Dated 1853 AD, 19th Century - 1853 AD to 1853 AD)
- CHURCHYARD (16th Century to 20th Century - 1500 AD to 1999 AD)
- COAT OF ARMS (1669 AD, 17th Century - 1669 AD to 1669 AD)
- GRAVESTONE (Dated 1581 AD, 16th Century - 1581 AD to 1581 AD)
- GRAVESTONE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
Full Description
Church, in use, and its associated graveyard. The church was built in 1806 on the site of an earlier church. The Kirk of Bouerden or Bowirdin was given to the canons of St. Andrews in 1199. In 1574, Bourtie shared a minister with three other parishes. The present church is built on the same site.
The present church is a simple, near-square-plan church with a tall piended roof with a short ridge. It has a small gablet with a bellcote and a ball finial. The bell is dated 1760. The interior has a horseshoe gallery and an ogee-canopied pulpit with a precentors box. Two badly damaged Medieval effigies are preserved within the church, the male effigy is said to be that of Thomas de Longville.
An unknown heraldic device of vernacular nature was revealed on the rear ceiling coving painting of 1806-1807, it was masked in 1933 along with other internal features. Investigation of a small panel, dated 1669, revealed heraldic arms circa 45 mm by 45 mm set in the form of an escutcheon on a pale green frame with darker flourishes, resembling the repeat stencil pattern of vine leaves and grapes which form a blue background on the coving. The escutcheon is gilded, with the rendition of a handsaw (sinister) underpinning two gilded fish (dexter) outlined in dark blue.
The churchyard is a rubble-walled enclosure with a few 18th and 19th Century gravestones, as well as a sundial. Dated 1853, the sundial is a square marble table dial on a circular granite shaft. A 16th Century gravestone was rediscovered in 1988, one of the earliest stones relating to the Kyng family lairds of Barra Castle between 1579-1581. The gravestone marked the burial site of two Isabellas, one a mother who died in 1579, the other a young wife who died in 1581. The stones now lie outside near the south wall of the church. The renowned Aberdeen-born architect A. G. R. Mackenzie, former owner of nearby Bourtie House, is buried in the churchyard (1879-1963).
A Pictish symbol stone (MAB22338) is built into the east end of the south face of the church.
Author unknown, , PRESS & JOURNAL (Bibliographic reference). SAB1416.
Author unknown, , PRESS & JOURNAL, 03/03/22 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1416.
Author unknown, , PRESS & JOURNAL, 16/02/1991 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1416.
ORDNANCE SURVEY, 1871, Ordnance Name Book, No10(1867) 37 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1360.
JERVISE, A, 1879, EPITAPHS & INSCRIPTIONS,VOL 2, 72-6 (Bibliographic reference). SAB889.
TEMPLE, W, 1894, THE THANAGE OF FERMARTYN, 366 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1915.
BRYDALL, R, 1895, THE MONUMENTAL EFFIGIES OF SCOTLAND FROM THE THIRTEENTH TO THE FIFTEENTH CENTURY PSAS 29(1894-5) 393-9, pp334-5 (Bibliographic reference). SAB132.
HAY, G., 1957, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REF CHURCHES, 117,187,242 (Bibliographic reference). SAB720.
EELES, FC, 1957, THE CHURCH AND OTHER BELLS OF ABERDEENSHIRE PSAS 90 (1956-7) 130-60, p.138 (Bibliographic reference). SAB490.
YOUNGBLOOD, M.C., 1996, DES, 6 (Bibliographic reference). SAB2148.
PAINTED CEILING
YOUNGBLOOD, M.C., 1998, DES : BOURTIE PARISH CHURCH, 30-1 (Bibliographic reference). SAB2150.
PAINTED CEILING
Aug 25 1998 , AAS/GR/98/CT478-482,492, AAS/GR/98/CT478-482,492 (Ground Photograph). SAB33102.
Author unknown, n.d., NSA, VOL XII, 628 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1269.
Nov 3 2014 , AAS-GR-14-11-114 - 134, AAS-GR-14-11-114 - 134 (Ground Photograph). SAB35370.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: ASH;
- HAMP Asset: HA0297;
- Local Government Guardianship;
- NMR Card Number: NJ82SW5;
- NRHE Numlink: 19727;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ82SW0033;
External Links (3)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB2815 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB2816 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/19727 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (14)
- --- SAB1269 Bibliographic reference: Author unknown. n.d.. NSA. VOL XII, 628.
- --- SAB132 Bibliographic reference: BRYDALL, R. 1895. THE MONUMENTAL EFFIGIES OF SCOTLAND FROM THE THIRTEENTH TO THE FIFTEENTH CENTURY PSAS 29(1894-5) 393-9. pp334-5.
- --- SAB1360 Bibliographic reference: ORDNANCE SURVEY. 1871. Ordnance Name Book. No10(1867) 37.
- --- SAB1416 Bibliographic reference: Author unknown. . PRESS & JOURNAL.
- --- SAB1416 Bibliographic reference: Author unknown. . PRESS & JOURNAL. 16/02/1991.
- --- SAB1416 Bibliographic reference: Author unknown. . PRESS & JOURNAL. 03/03/22.
- --- SAB1915 Bibliographic reference: TEMPLE, W. 1894. THE THANAGE OF FERMARTYN. 366.
- --- SAB2148 Bibliographic reference: YOUNGBLOOD, M.C.. 1996. DES. 6.
- --- SAB2150 Bibliographic reference: YOUNGBLOOD, M.C.. 1998. DES : BOURTIE PARISH CHURCH. 30-1.
- --- SAB33102 Ground Photograph: Aug 25 1998 . AAS/GR/98/CT478-482,492. Colour Transparency. AAS/GR/98/CT478-482,492.
- --- SAB35370 Ground Photograph: Nov 3 2014 . AAS-GR-14-11-114 - 134. Digital. AAS-GR-14-11-114 - 134.
- --- SAB490 Bibliographic reference: EELES, FC. 1957. THE CHURCH AND OTHER BELLS OF ABERDEENSHIRE PSAS 90 (1956-7) 130-60. Y. p.138.
- --- SAB720 Bibliographic reference: HAY, G.. 1957. THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REF CHURCHES. N. N. 117,187,242.
- --- SAB889 Bibliographic reference: JERVISE, A. 1879. EPITAPHS & INSCRIPTIONS,VOL 2. N. 72-6.
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2026 11:24AM