Building record MAB20519 - NEWHILLS OLD PARISH CHURCH
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Remains of the old parish church, built in the 17th Century, and designed by George Davidson of Pettens, a burgess of Aberdeen, who towards the end of his life mortified his estates of Newhills (700 acres) to support a church and minister.
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (B) 15653
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 8716 0947 (49m by 68m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ80NE |
| Authority | Aberdeen City |
| Civil Parish | Newhills |
Type and Period (7)
- COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVE (World War 1 to World War 2 - 1914 AD to 1945 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (17th Century to 19th Century - 1662 AD to 1830 AD)
- CHAPEL OF EASE (17th Century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (17th Century - 1663 AD to 1680 AD)
- CHURCHYARD (17th Century to 19th Century - 1600 AD to 1899 AD)
- GRAVESTONE (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- WATCH HOUSE (17th Century to 19th Century - 1600 AD to 1899 AD)
Full Description
Remains of the old parish church, built in the 17th Century, and designed by George Davidson of Pettens, a burgess of Aberdeen, who towards the end of his life mortified his estates of Newhills (700 acres) to support a church and minister.
Originally a chapel of ease, the building of the church began in 1662 and was completed in 1663. It held fewer than 100 parishioners, but as the population grew, the church was extended to an L-shape on the east. Upper galleries were also added and could be entered by a staircase located on the outside of the church. In 1663, there was a memorial to Davidson in the church which was listed as repaired by the minister in 1680. In addition, there was a memorial pew dedicated to Davidson that was left in the church. In 1666 it became the parish church of the newly established parish of Newhills, created out of Old Machar Parish. The Town Council and bailies of Aberdeen presented ministers for serving the church with the revenue to help with the maintenance of the church. It continued in use until a new church was built in 1830 (MAB20548), when the old church was partially dismantled.
The church is shown as in ruins on the OS 1st edition map. The church was long, narrow, and rectangular in plan, measuring 20 m by 7.5 m. The west gable survives to full height; it has a central doorway with a large rectangular window above. On the apex is the base for a bellcote. A portion of the north wall has been entirely removed. The south elevation remains to the wall head. On the inside is a plaque with an inscription giving a historical account of the church. The church bell is dated 1778.
The old churchyard is a rubble-built enclosure, with a watch house at the gate built of pinned boulder rubble. A few 19th Century stones remain. The graveyard has since been extended to east and south (see also MAB20555). It contains eight Commonwealth war graves of the First and Second World Wars.
JERVISE, A, 1879, EPITAPHS & INSCRIPTIONS,VOL 2, p.285-6 (Bibliographic reference). SAB889.
RITCHIE, J, 1912, PSAS 46(1911-12) 285-302, p.290-1 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1516.
BABTIE GROUP, 2004, ABERDEEN WESTERN PERIPHERAL ROUTE: ARCHAEOLOGICAL DESK-BASED STUDY & WALKOVER SURVEY. VOL 1: TEXT, VOL 2 GAZETTEER, Site 284, photo (Bibliographic reference). SAB3745.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: ACY;
- NMR Card Number: NJ80NE12;
- NRHE Numlink: 19308;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ80NE0011;
External Links (2)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB15653 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/19308 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (3)
- --- SAB1516 Bibliographic reference: RITCHIE, J. 1912. PSAS 46(1911-12) 285-302. p.290-1.
- --- SAB3745 Bibliographic reference: BABTIE GROUP. 2004. ABERDEEN WESTERN PERIPHERAL ROUTE: ARCHAEOLOGICAL DESK-BASED STUDY & WALKOVER SURVEY. VOL 1: TEXT, VOL 2 GAZETTEER. Site 284, photo.
- --- SAB889 Bibliographic reference: JERVISE, A. 1879. EPITAPHS & INSCRIPTIONS,VOL 2. N. p.285-6.
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 28 2026 12:21PM