Building record MAB20207 - ST NINIAN'S AND FORGLEN CHURCH, TURRIFF
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Parish church, built in 1794.
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (B) 42162
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 7233 5009 (55m by 47m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ75SW |
| Authority | Aberdeenshire |
| Civil Parish | Turriff |
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Parish church, built in 1794. It was enlarged to a T-plan in 1830, and a bellcote was added by William Smith in 1875. The vestry, organ chamber, and other alterations were made in 1875 to designs by James Duncan. Alterations also occurred in the 1890s. Duncan's additions were removed and the church was subject to a complete internal reconstruction, a new chancel, and other alterations in 1914 to the designs of A. G. R. Mackenzie. Further alterations were carried out in 2009.
The church is a simple, round-arched, Georgian rectangle, constructed in red ashlar masonry with quoin angles. There is a venetian window in the east gable, with a pedimented bellcote over it, containing a bell dated 1875 by J. Taylor.
HAY, G., 1957, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REF CHURCHES, 244 (Bibliographic reference). SAB720.
SDD, n.d., BLDS OF ARCH & HIST INTEREST, TURRIFF BURGH 1 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1827.
Author unknown, n.d., NSA, VOL 12, 1007 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1269.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: ASH;
- NMR Card Number: NJ75SW42;
- NRHE Numlink: 157577;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ75SW0036;
External Links (2)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB42162 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/157577 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (3)
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 28 2026 11:57AM