Building record MAB19624 - ST CONGAN'S CHURCH, TURRIFF
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Site of church and remains of a church.
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (A) 42163: Old Parish Church of St. Congan (COAV), Castle Street and Putachie Path, Turriff
- Listed Building (B) 42164: ST CONGAN'S CHURCH, TURRIFF
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 7220 4983 (75m by 44m) Centred at - Polygon: Unknown Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ74NW |
| Authority | Aberdeenshire |
| Civil Parish | Turriff |
Type and Period (3)
Full Description
Site of church and remains of a church. The ancient church was dedicated to St. Congan and probably established in the 7th Century. It was gifted to the Abbey of Arbroath by the Countess of Buchan in the 1214 and received donations at various dates (including in 1328), amongst which one came from Robert the Bruce. The church is also mentioned in taxation records in 1275. The church was probably built in circa 1412, and is now reduced to the fragment of the choir crowned by a belfry of 16th Century. When this was built at the east end of the old church, a wall was built across the sanctuary concealing the greater part of the Sacrament House, with only one jamb being left visible. The bellcote dates to 1635, the clock is dated 1797, and the bell is dated 1556 or 1557.
A relic of the older church was discovered in 1861 in the form of a fresco of St. Ninian, the interior probably having been painted all over with frescoes. This has now been lost. The carved heads built into the east wall of the church may have come from the Almshouse or hospital which stood nearby (MAB55244). The interior of the choir contains an interesting series of 17th Century monuments, including a 1636 monument and 1696 wall tomb. The gateway to the churchyard is late 17th Century, a moulded arch framed in fluted pilasters with an early-19th Century wrought-iron gate. The churchyard contains monuments from the 17th Century onwards. The new Parish church was built in 1794 on a new site.
SC 447503, SC 447503 (Photograph). SAB20306.
STUART, J, 1866, PSAS 6(1864-66) 114-78, 427-33 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1909.
STUART, J, 1869, BOOK OF DEER, PREFACE (Bibliographic reference). SAB3224.
JERVISE, A, 1879, EPITAPHS & INSCRIPTIONS,VOL 2, 219-36 (Bibliographic reference). SAB889.
MACPHERSON, A, 1891, PSAS 26(1890-1) 89-117, 104-5 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1183.
MACGIBBON, T, 1896, ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND 1, VOL 3, 615-6 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1141.
MACGIBBON, T, 1896, ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND 1, VOL 5, 184-5 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1141.
SCOTT, A. B., 1918, THE PICTISH NATION, ITS PEOPLE & ITS CHURCH, 357 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1619.
HAY, G., 1957, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REF CHURCHES, 244 (Bibliographic reference). SAB720.
Apr 11 2018 , AAS-GR-18-04-030 - 037, AAS-GR-18-04-030 - 037 (Ground Photograph). SAB35446.
Jan 1 1985 , AAS/GR/85/CT01,07, AAS/GR/85/CT01,07 (Ground Photograph). SAB32643.
Jan 1 1990 , AAS/GR/90/CT492,509, AAS/GR/90/CT492,509 (Ground Photograph). SAB32815.
Jul 6 2006 , DP 018445-7, DP 018445-7 (Air-oblique Photograph). SAB20303.
SDD, n.d., BLDS OF ARCH & HIST INTEREST, TURRIFF BURGH 2 (Bibliographic reference). SAB1827.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: ASH;
- HAMP Asset: HA0123;
- HAMP Asset: HA0124;
- Local Government Guardianship;
- NMR Card Number: NJ74NW12;
- NRHE Numlink: 19148;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ74NW0009;
External Links (3)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB42163 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB42164 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/19148 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (14)
- --- SAB1141 Bibliographic reference: MACGIBBON, T. 1896. ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND 1. N. Y. VOL 3, 615-6.
- --- SAB1141 Bibliographic reference: MACGIBBON, T. 1896. ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND 1. N. Y. VOL 5, 184-5.
- --- SAB1183 Bibliographic reference: MACPHERSON, A. 1891. PSAS 26(1890-1) 89-117. 104-5.
- --- SAB1619 Bibliographic reference: SCOTT, A. B.. 1918. THE PICTISH NATION, ITS PEOPLE & ITS CHURCH. N. N. 357.
- --- SAB1827 Bibliographic reference: SDD. n.d.. BLDS OF ARCH & HIST INTEREST. TURRIFF BURGH 2.
- --- SAB1909 Bibliographic reference: STUART, J. 1866. PSAS 6(1864-66) 114-78. 427-33.
- --- SAB20303 Air-oblique Photograph: Jul 6 2006 . DP 018445-7. Digital. DP 018445-7.
- --- SAB20306 Photograph: SC 447503. SC 447503.
- --- SAB3224 Bibliographic reference: STUART, J. 1869. BOOK OF DEER. PREFACE.
- --- SAB32643 Ground Photograph: Jan 1 1985 . AAS/GR/85/CT01,07. Colour Transparency. AAS/GR/85/CT01,07.
- --- SAB32815 Ground Photograph: Jan 1 1990 . AAS/GR/90/CT492,509. Colour Transparency. AAS/GR/90/CT492,509.
- --- SAB35446 Ground Photograph: Apr 11 2018 . AAS-GR-18-04-030 - 037. Digital. AAS-GR-18-04-030 - 037.
- --- SAB720 Bibliographic reference: HAY, G.. 1957. THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REF CHURCHES. N. N. 244.
- --- SAB889 Bibliographic reference: JERVISE, A. 1879. EPITAPHS & INSCRIPTIONS,VOL 2. N. 219-36.
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 12 2026 9:19AM