Building record MAB13427 - MILLTOWN OF ROTHIEMAY PARISH CHURCH
Please read our guidance about the use of Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Church and graveyard.
Protected Status/Designation
- Listed Building (B) 15616
Map
Location
| Grid reference | Centred NJ 5473 4836 (57m by 89m) Centred at - Polygon: Known Site Extent |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | NJ54NW |
| Authority | Moray |
| Civil Parish | Rothiemay |
Type and Period (8)
- CHURCHYARD (Post Medieval to Modern - 1561 AD to 2050 AD)
- CHURCH (19th Century to 20th Century - 1807 AD to 1959 AD)
- CHURCHYARD (18th Century to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
- CARVED STONE (17th Century - 1672 AD to 1672 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (19th Century - 1826 AD to 1826 AD)
- COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVE (World War 1 to World War 2 - 1914 AD to 1945 AD)
- DATE STONE (17th Century - 1672 AD to 1672 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Full Description
Church and graveyard. The church was built in 1807 to replace the old church of the parish (MAB13348) and it was internally remodelled in 1872 by A. and W. Reid of Elgin. The earlier church stood in full view of Rothiemay House (MAB53078), but the Earl of Fife had both the church and churchyard removed in 1752 as it 'spoiled his view and privacy'.
The church is a small rectangular building with a pinned dark whinstone front and heavily pointed rubble flanks, with contrasting Avochie granite dressings. At the west gable apex is a birdcage belfry topped ball final housing a bell measuring circa 66 cm in diameter and dated 1880. There are four large, regular, round-headed windows that light the long south elevation, which are keystoned and have blocked imposts. There are similar smaller gallery windows in the east and west gables, each with a keystoned oculus above. Margined horizontal-pane glazing is used. There is a round-headed, keystoned entrance in the east gable, and there was probably a similar west entrance that was blocked by a later single-storey vestry with a weathervane on top.
There is a small, blocked entrance in the north wall, which is believed to originally be the main door of the earlier parish church. The doorway was a feature of Rothiemay Castle for two centuries, until it was placed here in 1959. It has a curved step on which stands a substantial stone font. It is an arched moulded round-headed doorway with an angel's head and wings carved onto a large keystone, and carved detailing to the base of the jambs. Directly above this is a blocked first floor doorway that would have given access to the gallery and would require an external stair. There is an apex finial at the east gable, and a local slate roof.
The interior has been remodelled on a traditional lay-out, with a rectangular pulpit in the centre of the south wall, and a 5-sided gallery with a panelled and arcaded front. A fragment of carved stone, possibly a pediment, stands in the entrance porch. The stone is dated 1672 and decorated with a carved star.
The graveyard is rubble walled, the wall coped at the east to the roadway with cast-iron railings. It contains tombstones of 18th and 19th Century, and later, date. They include a substantial memorial to the former Minister, who died in 1826, and Alexander Duff of Mayen who died in the early-19th Century. There are five Commonwealth War Graves within the burial ground.
HOWAT, AJ, 1901, CHURCHES IN MORAY, 45 (Bibliographic reference). SAB729.
Other Statuses/References
- Authority: MOR;
- NMR Card Number: NJ54NW61;
- NRHE Numlink: 171030;
- Old Historic Environment Record Ref: NJ54NW0031;
External Links (2)
- https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB15616 (Historic Environment Scotland Portal Link)
- https://www.trove.scot/place/171030 (trove.scot link)
Sources/Archives (1)
- --- SAB729 Bibliographic reference: HOWAT, AJ. 1901. CHURCHES IN MORAY. Y. 45.
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 27 2026 8:23PM